Simplifying Forum Categories

The Forum has accumulated some categories and subcategories

I would like to simplify choosing a category when creating a new topic.
I think the Botting Category and all its subcategories are not needed anymore for the purpose of creating new topics. As always when creating a new topic, you can use tags to make your topic easy to find.

I think categories can still be useful but are better when oriented toward the goal of the user. Following is a list of categories I can think of to cover topics on this forum:

• Learn: Use this category if you trying to figure something out and want to ask a question.
  • Request Feedback: Use this category when you want to get feedback on ideas, experiments, bots or other artifacts, etc.
  • Show and Tell: Use this category when you want to show off something you’ve made or discovered.

By using these three categories instead of Botting and all its subcategories, I hope to make it easier for people to create a new topic.

Maybe the Site Feedback category can be merged into those three too :thinking:

I intend to implement this change if we do not find a problem with it in the next three weeks. This means:

• New categories that suit our forum.
  • Changing the Botting category and its subcategories so that no new topics can be created in there anymore.
  • Migrating the topics from Botting to the new categories. (You can move your own topics to a category you find appropriate.)

If you have any suggestions or see a problem with this plan, let me know. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

I implemented the categories now, you can find them at:

• Learn Use this category if you trying to figure something out and want to ask a question.
  • Request Feedback Use this category when you want to get feedback on ideas, experiments, bots or other artifacts, etc.
  • Show and Tell Use this category when you want to show off something you’ve made or discovered.

You can move your topics to the new categories. To move a topic, click on the pen icon right of the topic title. The video below shows how that works:

1 Like

It turns out there was a problem with category settings for creating new topics. As a result it was still possible until today to create new topics in obsolete categories like EVE Online.

Seems like this is fixed now. When using New Topic, the dropdown to choose a category now looks like this:

1 Like